We are now recruiting paramedics for fit testing at Centennial College (Morningside Campus) and University of Toronto (St. George Campus).
We are also looking to travel to services in Ontario willing to host our research team for testing. If you are a service interested in hosting our fit testing study or a paramedic interested in fit testing at one of the above locations, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to the services who have hosted our study:
Cochrane District Emergency Medical Services
Frontenac Paramedic Services
Halton Paramedic Services
Lennox and Addington County Paramedic Services
Ottawa Paramedic Services
Simcoe County Paramedic Services
Timiskaming Emergency Medical Services
Check out where our study team has been sampling!
Paramedics are at risk of exposure to bioaerosols. Respirators are often the only protection available against bioaerosols for paramedics providing emergency care. However, little is known about how well respirators fit during paramedic tasks and the exercises used in the standard respirator fit testing protocol may not reflect the movements performed by paramedics in their job.
WHAT WILL I HAVE TO DO?
We aim to recruit 200 Ontario paramedics to determine how well respirators fit during paramedic tasks that may break the seal between the respirator and face. Information from this study can help to ensure paramedics are provided with adequate respiratory protection.
- Watch a 12 minute video on respiratory fit testing before your fit test appointment
- Travel to the testing site for 2-3 hours at an agreeable time
- Complete a short questionnaire about you and your respirator experience
- Have body and physiological measurements taken (e.g. height, heart rate)
- Complete standard and modified fit testing for three different respirators
See the frequently asked questions to find out how this information will be used.
HOW DO I ENROLL?
- Make sure you are eligible
- You are a paramedic working in Ontario
- You perform life-support and patient handling tasks in your current job
- You are vaccinated
- You are medically fit and comfortable wearing a respirator
- You are willing to travel to the testing site
- On the day of testing you agree to:
- Be clean shaven (check if your facial hair is acceptable)
- Refrain from smoking at least 30 minutes before testing
- Wear long pants and steel toed work shoes
- Contact the study coordinator (Rachel Tyli, email@example.com) to schedule a fit test appointment.
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
Visit our project summary page and our frequently asked questions page for more information.
Contact the study coordinator (Rachel Tyli, firstname.lastname@example.org) or principal investigator (Tracy Kirkham, email@example.com).
Thank you to Toronto Paramedic Services for supporting our study and loaning equipment!